Upcoming Events at Lakeshore!
There are no events currently announced. Please do check back later!
50th Anniversary Weekend
Celebrating 50 Years of the Lakeshore Railroad
Fifty years of existance for any miniature railway is a significant milestone and one that cannot be passed over without due appreciation. Without further ado, we would like to invite YOU to celebrate South Shields' one and only little railway, with a big heart, over the 2nd and 3rd July 2022, at our grand anniversary weekend gala!
As is to be expected, the weekend is set to be packed full of spectacles:
- A Saturday "Re-Opening Ceremony" at 10:30am by our esteemed friend Anthony Coulls, Senior Curator of Rail Transport at the National Railway. Museum, followed by an opening train recreation.
- Up to four visiting steam and diesel locomotives from across the country, including the Downs Light Railway's "Brock". The full cohort of visitors will be announced and detailed over the coming weeks.
- Double heading, mixed trains and the return of our nightly, coveted "Lakeshore-Or-Bust" specials i.e. everything that can and will roll on one passenger train.
- The rare public display and light use of visiting original and replica 1924 Wembley Exhibition carriages; highly historically significant vehicles once rode in by King George V himself!
- Displays of non-functioning vehicles and archive material, charting our history back to our formative years.
- A very special (static) visiting engine atop all the rest.
- And of course, our fabulous friendly staff, volunteers and visiting crews who really do make the railway what it is!
This is certainly not a weekend to be missed; an event not to be repeated on such a scale for many years to come!
Lakeshore To Lakeland
A Fond Farewell to GM Ryan Lamb
As one chapter ends, another one begins! This March will see us bid a fond farewell to our General Manager, Ryan Lamb, as he departs for his new job in Cumbria; driving on the Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway. Starting as a volunteer in 2006, Ryan joined our dedicated team of staff in 2011. A man of many talents, from locomotive painting to trackwork, becoming a driver on the Ravenglass line has forever been a childhood dream of his.
To mark an end to his 13 years of sterling service to the railway, we are proud to present "Lakeshore to Lakeland", a weekend long celebration over the 9th and 10th March 2019 featuring:
- An intensive service featuring all available locomotives.
- Double and Triple Heading.
- A variety of train formations including demonstration goods and mixed services.
Culminating with his last train on Sunday 10th March, join us as we say a heartfelt goodbye to Ryan and wish him every good fortune in Ravenglass!
45th Anniversary Weekend
To celebrate our 45th year of operating, we are very excited to reveal that we will be holding an anniversary gala over the weekend of the 24th and 25th of June 2017, featuring visiting engine "James Boyd" from the Downs School Railway as our main attraction.
The weekend is set to be packed full of spectacles including;
- Opening Train Re-creations.
- A "Re-Cutting the Ribbon" ceremony on Saturday 24th.
- Steam hauled double and triple headers around the lake.
- Displays of archive photography and current work.
- Mixed goods trains.
- And all of the operation home fleet.
This is certainly not a weekend to be missed, so why not save the date? Don't be late!